The concept was simple yet the execution, I’m sure, terrifying. Can you imagine yourself in another country where you don’t speak the language, with no money in your pocket and the desperation to get out of your surroundings? The online series, Around the World For Free, which just wrapped up a second season featured Big Brother former cast off Jeff Schroeder as he took on the challenge of traveling around the world in 100 days. But, there was a huge catch involved with him traveling across the globe. Jeff was to travel with no money and simply rely on the help and kindness of strangers to get from destination to destination.
While sifting through episodes, photos, viewer comments and results of the show it makes me realize a few things. Firstly, that really there is such a magnificent and unknown world in front of us. As you watch Schroeder take on different cultures and ways of life, it makes your own life and world seem so small and isolated. But, for every moment that takes your breath away there is a moment of terror.
Everyone thinks they are so hard done by and have such a tough life, but really if you’re living in the Western world and have a roof over your head and nourishment to keep you going, do you really have a right to complain? There are so many people that are so much worse off, and you don’t see them complain. They make the best out of their situation; not even realizing that people lead such elaborate and expensive lives in comparison to their own. Yet, are all smiles as they lie their heads down at the end of the day.
Which makes me think about just how amazing it is that Schroeder was able to rely completely on word of mouth and the generosity of others to get him around. To not know where you are going to be at the end of the day, where your next meal is coming from or exactly how you are going to get from point A to point B. I’m sure some of it may be exhilarating but at the same time, terrifying. As a person who completely relies on structured days and routine, I can’t imagine waking up to this each day. I’m sure strangers can be pure of heart from time to time but sometimes I have my doubts. And to rely on strangers for the essentials in life? My stomach jumps to my throat.
Schroeder has proven that it’s not as hard as one might seem. I’m sure the backing of a major television network, Big Brother fans by the thousands and a camera following you everywhere probably helped, just a little bit. Yet, it is still such a major conquest in itself. Everything about this series shocks me and makes me wonder just how rose coloured my glasses really are. Is it sad that I really don’t have that much faith in the kindness of strangers? Even I am guilty of walking by the homeless and not giving them the change in my pocket, holding the door for a stranger who has their hands full or having to repeat myself in different ways to someone that maybe isn’t understanding me. It’s not that these things are ever done intentionally, and yet I don’t even flinch when I do them. It’s second nature but obviously something I need to address within myself.
If Around the World for Free has shown me anything, it is that maybe I should be that person to lend a hand today. If I start myself in a cycle of being more conscious about my decisions and how that effects others, maybe it will make me see the greatness in strangers and the underlying kindness that has potentially been there the whole time I’ve been walking around with my eyes averted.
No comments:
Post a Comment