In the last couple days, I’ve had a complete creative epiphany. While sitting down for dinner with a close University friend, Donnie, the topic of writing and getting those creative juices flowing back like they did in the days of J-School arose. Donnie was telling me about how much he enjoys getting back into the habit of getting his thoughts out into the world and how he posts a weekly blog, Sunday Sitdowns, which has had a growing number of hits in multiple countries. His eyes lit up when talking about messages he had received from people that were looking forward to his blogs each week and how he looked forward to each and every comment that he received.
It made me think back to the days when I was not only in school carrying a full time course load but Editor-In-Chief of a school magazine, photo editor of one newspaper and Editor-In-Chief of another. I would sit down to write articles, profiles, reviews and kick out three or four pieces of work that would go into production the very next day. At the time, I couldn’t really remember the reasons that I loved writing because my mind was full of stress and deadlines. I also couldn’t always remember if I had washed my hair lately or to change out of my newspaper staff sweater; but that’s an entirely different story.
But now, after being out of school for quite a while it’s almost as though I’ve forgotten how to write. I find myself sitting and staring at a blank page on my computer and wondering how I used to just put all my thoughts, feelings and fears out there for anyone to read. I forgot how one little thing like a story in the news, a jump in the entertainment industry or sitting around swapping funny stories with friends and family could spur any entire column or piece that now graces the pages of my portfolio. After taking some time to unwind since graduation, falling into a regular routine and entering the world of a University graduate I find myself asking; how do you forget to do something that at one point in your not so distant past, was second nature?
After much debate and careful consideration I’ve decided it’s time to start flexing those creative writing muscles again that have been out of commission for what seems like forever. And what better way to do it than with a blog since it seems to be the way of the future for journalism graduates.
I really wish I could say, “I promise I’m going to post each and every day/week”. But, at this point the writer inside me is screaming not to make promises I can’t keep just yet. Some things take baby steps and although it used to be nothing to sit down and crank out an op-ed about my ever-biding love for the Spice Girls, the art of cow tipping, scary nights in junky hotels or my fear of rodents; I’m going to have to find a way to embrace my inner writer.
This is where it all begins. The start of something new and hopefully the push I need to embrace a lost art form that used to be all that I embodied. As I welcome writing back into my own life I hope everyone that is reading will welcome my words back into their lives as well.
I really wish I could say, “I promise I’m going to post each and every day/week”. But, at this point the writer inside me is screaming not to make promises I can’t keep just yet. Some things take baby steps and although it used to be nothing to sit down and crank out an op-ed about my ever-biding love for the Spice Girls, the art of cow tipping, scary nights in junky hotels or my fear of rodents; I’m going to have to find a way to embrace my inner writer.
This is where it all begins. The start of something new and hopefully the push I need to embrace a lost art form that used to be all that I embodied. As I welcome writing back into my own life I hope everyone that is reading will welcome my words back into their lives as well.
Cheers,
Nicole
Nicole
So happy to read your words and can't wait to read more! You are so talented; never give up on writing!
ReplyDelete